- Place a small saucer in the freezer to chill.
- Placed the pitted and halved cherries in a large saucepan, use a potato masher to crush the cherries to help release the juices.
- Add the lemon juice and cook over low heat stirring occasionally for five minutes, or until the cherries are tender.
- Add the sugar and continue to cook, stirring, for 10-15 min until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to a rolling boil, then cook for another 4 min.
- Take the saucer out of the freezer, spoon a little of the jam onto the saucer and return to the freezer for 2 min or until jam is cold.
- Check with your finger to see if it has set and is gel-like.
- If jam is ready, remove from the heat and set aside for 5 min.
- Ladle hot jam into jam jars, seal and turn upside down until cooled.