Baked apples and salted caramel sauce
- 1 generous wedge of Fromager d’Affinois Le Fromager (approx. 250g)
- 1 generous wedge of Fromager d’Affinois Bleu (approx. 250g)
- 3 pink lady apples cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Olive oil
Salted caramel sauce:
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- ¾ cup thickened cream
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
(The caramel should be prepared ahead of time and allowed to cool to at least room temperature, and gently warmed just before serving. It can be kept refrigerated in an airtight container.)
- Stir sugar and water together in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat until sugar has mostly dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring mixture to the boil, stirring constantly until it is a clear syrup.
- Continue to cook and stir until mixture turns sandy and crumbly and then begins to melt again. Keep stirring until it becomes an amber colour (8-10 min).
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream while constantly stirring (be careful as the caramel will continue to bubble) until the boiling subsides.
- Mix in vanilla and salt. Let caramel sauce stand until room temperature (about 15-20 min). If needed, store refrigerated in airtight container.
- Warm over low heat before serving.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Place apples on a baking sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon, making sure all the apples are coated.
- Bake in oven for approx 25 min until the apples are cooked through and golden brown.
Place room temperature Fromager d’Affinois Le Fromager and Fromager D’Affinois Bleu on a serving dish and cover with warm apples and drizzle with warmed caramel sauce.